While Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday in Kenya, I really wanted a pumpkin pie – plus I roasted that pumpkin last week.
I wanted to be able to give little man a taste so I made a gluten free crust using this recipe. It’s also vegan. I used raw sugar as I don’t have coconut sugar.
Vegan adaptation of family recipe (though I think that is originally from the Joy of Cooking).
- 2 cups roasted squash butternut or pie pumpkins
- 1 1/2 cups coconut cream (originally heavy cream)
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup brown sugar scant
- 1 tsp molasses "touch of"
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 chia "eggs" (replaces 2 slightly beaten eggs)
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds (can also use flax)
- 6 tbsp hot water
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Line a pie pan with pie dough according to instructions.
Mix all ingredients until well blended.
Pour the mixture into pie shell
Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees (F).
Reduce heat to 350 degrees (F) and bake about 45 minutes longer.
Serve with whipped cream (you can make a whipped cream out of coconut cream)
Did you know that most commercial pumpkin puree is made from butternut squash?
The pie was a little wobbly when it first comes out but firms up once it cools down. Mine was a little over baked because of oven issues.
Little man wasn’t impressed by his first bite because it was too hot. Whoops. Once I cooled it off it went much better!